Thursday 8 December 2011

Angela Lansbury Week 2011 - Day Four

Remember how I said I was trying new things - well check it out! It's a drawing for Angela Lansbury Week that doesn't actually involve the actress herself. Plus, I'm double excited because I heard the phrase "character correct," this week - which means that the way a character does/says something is in keeping with who they are as people. I think the fancy dress costumes are all "character correct." But whatever - we're not here to watch me justify drawing teapots, you want Lansburys! Well, you're in the right place...



If you make comics then you’ll no doubt already be aware of Dan – what with him making comics, teaching about comics and eating comics. Oh wait. I made the last one up (I think). Dan has chosen to draw a very serious-looking Lansbury. The hair. The necklace. The sassy jacket. The only way she could mean any more business would be if she was the guy from Monopoly! I know Dan’s super busy what with comics and comics and more comics, so I’m really excited he found the time to do this. Thanks Dan!


Do you like unicorns? If you’re using the Internet then the answer has to be YES YES YES – because unicorns are ace. But you know who doesn’t like unicorns? Mommy Fortuna – the evil witch from The Last Unicorn! This spooky drawing was sent in by Angus – a cool dude/animator I met at a thing in the Summer. I remember watching The Last Unicorn as a little person…but I don’t actually remember anything about it. I think it involved the song Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer, but I’m not sure. Maybe I just made that up? What I didn’t make up is how ace this drawing is. Thanks Angus! 


One of the questions that has often plagued the greatest minds throughout history is “what would Angela Lansbury look like if she was a cat?” Well, thanks to this super cute drawing by Rus, we finally know the answer! It’s good to know that if Angela Lansbury was a cat, she’s still have accepted the role of Jessica Fletcher. In fact, I sort of want to watch a cat-remake of Murder, She Wrote. It would be a massive hit on YouTube! Plus! FUN FACT! Jessica Fletcher didn’t drive anywhere in Murder, She Wrote – she always got rides from pals so they could have a gossip. And the cat version of Murder, She Wrote (Meow, She Wrote?) could be just the same. Amazing. Thanks Rus!



Avast, me hearties! Set sail for shore – and don’t forget to pack the picnic. Oh. I got the last bit wrong, didn’t I. Boo hoo. But you know what isn’t wrong? This drawing of Ruth from The Pirates of Penzance was sent in by Carl. It’s nice to see Angela with a sword instead of a typewriter…although I can’t decide which one is deadlier. I know people say “the pen is mightier than the sword,” but I reckon Ruth would probably take Jessica Fletcher in a fight. Not that they ever would fight, but still. Thanks Carl!



This drawing was made by the dreamboat duo of Simon and Tom. I was hounding them for ages about taking part in Angela Lansbury Week and when I saw them recently, they sat down and played a game of Exquisite Corpse to create this. Except that’s where it all got a bit…wrong. Urnk. I’m not normally one for censorship but the lower portion of their drawing got a bit too…um…tentacle-friendly? I hope they don’t mind that I cut that bit out – it just seemed a little…intense. I bet if you asked Simon and Tom to show you the whole thing, they’d be up for it. Thanks Simon! Thanks Tom!


Cute as a button describes two things – Mrs Potts and Lizz, the sweetheart who sent in this comic about her. You’ll remember Lizz from her previous drawing of Mrs ‘Arris – but she clearly couldn’t decide which Lansbury role she liked the best. Hence, two drawings! Not that I’m complaining – I get double the Lansburys and Lizz gets double…the…uh… I don’t know? Something cool. But, we mustn’t be distracted! Lizz’s comic raises a very important question: what is inside Mrs Potts? If she can talk, where is her voicebox? And if she has memories, where are they stored? Hmmm… While we ponder those. I’ll say thanks to Lizz. Thanks Lizz!


Uh oh! Watch out! There’s a Lansbury about! This one was sent in by James who decided to go for a Lansbury/mouse combination. I can’t say it’s a combination I ever expected to see (like prawn cocktail flavoured crisps!) – but I like it anyway (just like prawn cocktail flavoured crisps). It goes without saying that no mice or Lansburys were hurt in making of this drawing. Phew. Thanks James!


This drawing, by the frightfully talented Joe, raises one of the most often-asked questions:

”What would Angela Lansbury look like if she were a giant inflatable head? Would she still have accomplished so much as an actress and a woman?"

It is my personal opinion that Angela would have accomplished just as much if she was a giant inflatable head. It is also my personal opinion that Joe has done a great job with Angela’s hair! It’s a pretty tricky hair style to depict. I seem to talk about her hair a bit too much, eh? Huh. Either way, thanks Joe! 




Hey! Everyone! Get yourself onto the dancefloor! This Angela wants to boogie! Sent in by the charming Sammy, here we have Angela playing Eglantine Price – from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. If you’ve seen the film then you know who she is dancing with. And if you haven’t see the movie then I won’t ruin it for you. Also, I’d quite like to borrow that brown jacket – especially if it was tweed. But yes – Eglantine is good fun and it’s nice to see her do something other than fly around on a magic bed. Thanks Sammy!


The world of comics is full of lovely people and one of the loveliest is Sarah – the person responsible for (amongst other things) this brilliant drawing about the important role Angela Lansbury had on her childhood. Sarah’s Grandma has a good point though – how does she keep looking so well? I have a theory. You might have one two. Maybe we can swap them one day? The important thing is that everyone’s childhood was probably improved in some way by Angela Lansbury! Thanks Sarah!



It’s nearly Christmas so there’s a certain someone up in the North Pole who will be pretty busy. Nope – not Father Christmas. It’s Mrs Santa Claus, as played by Angela Lansbury in the 1996 movie, Mrs Santa Claus! See what they did there? This drawing was sent in by Rick who, at the time of writing, is the only person to send in a drawing of Angela’s most festive role. Bonus points for you! I haven’t watched this movie for a while – something I intend to resolve this Christmas. Thanks Rick!



The dainty figure! The spout-like nose! The cute little eyes! It can only be everyone’s favourite singing teapot – Mrs Potts! YAAAAAAAY! This cute drawing was sent in by the lovely Dan (who still owes me pancakes). I like the fact that we get double Lansburys in one picture. It’s like buy one, get one free! Or a bonus Lansbury! Speaking of bonuses, Dan has really highlighted what a snappy dresser Angela is. Thanks Dan!


MRS ‘ARRIS ALERT! MRS ‘ARRIS ALERT! Watch out world, we’ve got another Mrs ‘Arris in our hands. And what a looker she is! This one was sent in by Britain’s rising star – Luke! And let me tell you some hot gossip – I heard a rumour that Luke used real inks for this! I don’t know about you but I’m crazy jealous…but not of Luke! Oh no! I’m jealous of Mrs ‘Arris and her devotion to her dress. I wish I felt that passionate about something… *sigh* Thanks Luke!

And so, another day of drawing is at an end. I hope you've enjoyed them. Due to some late (but amazing) entires, today and tomorrow have more drawings than I expected. I hope you don't mind having all the extra drawings cluttering up space in your brain. You'll thank me for it one day. 

Have a lovely day!

No comments: