Thursday 26 May 2011

Wizard Week 2011: Day Four

Hello! It’s Thursday – that awful day that’s not quite Friday… Except it is sort of Friday for me since I’ve booked  tomorrow off work! I’ll be at MCM Expo instead but that’s sort of like not being at work? Or something. Whatever – here are the next batch of wizards for Wizard Week 2011!



We all know I can’t draw hands. So I should probably hate people that can. Except I don’t. If you want to know how I avoid such negative emotions, just check out this drawing by Joe. It’s just too cool to hate. It helps that wizards are cool in general but Joe’s wizard gets bonus cool points for having a cool hat and fancy shoes. And Joe gets extra bonus cool points just because. Thanks Joe!




Hahahahaha. This submission made me wet myself a little. Look! It’s Toby the dinosaur, except he’s been working out! Because he’s effing terrifying. This was sent in by Andy and I’ve got to admit that I’m a little jealous. If I could draw like that, Toby would always look that cool. Thanks Andy! I owe you one!



Cake + Wizard = double thumbs up from me. This wizard was sent in by Graham. Graham was actually kind enough to do a nice drawing of Toby and the wizards a while ago which I’ve been saving for this week! Here it is! I hope he doesn’t mind me uploading it here.



Thanks Graham!


Recently, I was quite glued to the ITV2 show The Only Way Is Essex. If you haven’t seen it, watch it. I could never do it justice with mere words. This drawing by Darren sees a combination of two of my favourite things – The Only Way Is Essex and wizards. The guy he’s drawn is Joey Essex. I’d explain more – but you should really just watch it. Thanks Darren! Reem!


 
Say it with me now – it’s Daaaaaaaaan! If you ever want to know something about comics – ask Dan. He’s a super nice guy who knows all sorts of things. Except, until today I didn’t know that he knew about wizards as well! Because Dan’s right – some wizards HATE magic! No one really talks about these wizards because they mostly suck – but the mere fact that Dan’s knows about them shows how smart he is. Thanks for teaching us something new, Dan!
 



Wheeeee! A super cute comic strip about gnome-wizards? YES PLEASE! This was sent in by Rob who I met at Thought Bubble 2010. Rob raises an excellent point – if wizards have robes, beards and hats, then gnomes – which has beards and hats (but no robes or wands) must get pretty confused. I’d get confused if I was a gnome. Not that it matters since I’m neither gnome nor wizard. Regardless – thanks Rob!



I think there was a period when I worried that the Wizarding Wednesday guys didn’t do enough magic. So they all got a specific thing they were good at whether it was changing size or shape or this weird thing they do with arrows. And it’s this slightly bizarre arrow magic that Alex has drawn! HOORAY! I still don’t really understand what it does besides pointing at/through stuff but it looks cool and Alex has done a brilliant job. Thanks Alex!



This whiteboard wizard was sent in by the mysterious Dan via the medium of Twitter. Dan’s wizard has the three key items – a robe, a beard and a wand…but this wizard has a bonus feature! Whiteboard pens! In constant supply in every office, this wizard is super smart for keeping some handy. That way, everyone in every office will need him at some point… Thanks for the wizard Dan!



 
This wizard was sent in by Justin – and you know what, he’s got a point! Wizards would be great to have about the house – doing the cleaning, being positive role models to children. I think that having a wizard in the house would improve pretty much EVERYTHING. Justin – you are a very smart man. Thank you for both the wizard and for opening my eyes!




Is one man deserves a theme tune…it’s me. But after me, it’s Matt – the drawer of this comic. He’s done a great job of  drawing a great submission that involves zero wizards. A great skill and just what I’d expect of Matt. Thank you very much Matt! I’ll pay you back with a very special performance of Life by Des’ree.



If you’ve been reading these blurbs at all (which I hope you have since they take me about three hours to type) – then you’ll know that I reckon a good wizard has a brilliant beard. And I’m not alone in this theory – as Matteo, the brains behind this drawing has given his wizard a proper beard. Not only that, but the first time I met Matteo, he had a decent beard himself. Maybe he’s a wizard?! I don’t know. Either way, thanks Matteo!

 
Sad story: I am terribly unphotogenic. It’s like, point a camera in my direction and watch me turn into a big pile of gross. Which is why, if I see a camera within two metres, I hide. Don’t believe me? Ask Peter – the gentleman who drew this wizarding world. He was at a comic event with a camera…which obviously meant I had to keep hiding. It made holding a conversation pretty interesting. But still, he drew a wizard. Thanks Peter! Now please put the camera down before I vomit.


 
I have some really nice pals in real life. One of them is called Tom and he was kind enough to send me this wizard-themed haiku. Tom was also kind enough to make me pancakes on pancake day! See? Nice pals doing nice things. Thanks for sending this in Tom. You’re the nicest!



 Different people think of different things when asked to draw a wizard. Never has this been more apparent than with this drawing by Gillian. As you can see, Gillian was reminded of some weird milky-drink that was given out in class at lunchtime. I think we just had regular milk at my school (I might have just imagined that) but the idea of having wizard-branded faux-milk is pretty terrifying. If you’ve recovered Gillian, I would like to say thank you for taking part! Thank you!


Upon receiving this wizard from Warwick in my inbox, I suggested that I could maybe rename Warwick as Aceguy. Or Mr Ace. Something along those lines. He said that Warwick is fine but if I wanted to tell people that he’s ace then that’s OK. But I don’t need to tell you that Warwick’s ace because you can clearly see from the above drawing that this is indeed the case. Thanks Warwick! You’re ace!

So that’s Day Four of Wizard Week 2011 done. I hope you’re enjoying it. And obviously you should check out everyone’s web pages if you like the look of their work!


No comments: