Wednesday 15 December 2010

Review of 2010: Scott Pilgrim

I've already gone on about how much I love Scott Pilgrim... except it turns out I never got round to writing that review of Volume Six. Awkward.

But yeah - 2010 was a big year for whatever Scott Pilgrim fans call themselves. Pilgrims? Scottaholics? Whatever. Yeah - 2010 saw the release of the final volume in the series as well as a sodding movie! The final installment in the epic tale of twenty-something Scott and his slacker life was pretty much brilliant. I'd go through it page-by-page but it's late and I'm not too sure where my copy is. But pretty much the entire thing was amazing - from *SPOILERS* Envy's outfits to Knives' general sassyness. If you haven't read it then we probably can't be BFFs - sorry. But you can fix that by reading it.

And there was the movie too! It was actually fun! I know I'm meant to hate it for not sticking to the comics (where the eff was Lisa Miller?!) but it was still worth watching. Twice, in my case.The soundtrack was cool, The Clash at Demonhead were ace, the fights were epic and I especially love Ramona's hammer making a hard-hitting (chortle chortle) appearance. Like the comic, you should give it a go if you haven't...

And, in case you haven't figured it out, both the comic and the movie made great use of sound effects - as demonstrated in the above drawing. "BOP" is still my favourite (it's somewhere in Volume Four) and I enjoy using it in real life. Or "IRL" as no one says anymore. It's a term of endearment - a sound to be made whilst affectionately (and gently) punching someone in the arm.

Obviously I'll be sad that there won't be any more Scott Pilgrim to look forward to. I'll never get to see Kim Pine fight or how Knives copes with university or what amazing special move Scott is working on next - but I suppose that's the mark of a good book. Someone with an excellent beard once described the Scott Pilgrim series to me as "our generation's Harry Potter," but I disagree - it's our generation's Scott Pilgrim and that's more than epic enough.

UPDATE: I did an interview here! Promise not to laugh!

1 comment:

DC said...

Scott Pilgrim the movie didn't (isn't yet?) showing where I live T_T

On the interview: aww, that poster of the wizards is so purty! Lookin' forward to 2011 n.nb